Monday, May 13, 2013

Letters to Juliet (2010)

Director: Gary Winick
Writer: Jose Rivera, Tim Sullivan
Cast: Amanda Seyfried, Gael Garcia Bernal, Christopher Egan
Genre: Drama, Romance, Comedy
Duration: 105 minutes
Country: USA
Production Company: Summit Entertainment, Applehead Pictures


Romance comedy genre has one thing that I find disturbing. It always show us that stranger that you know nothing about is worth more than someone that you had already know for a long time. I mean, it sure gives us an unhealthy illusion.

New strange things do not always mean better right? For me, happily ever after is just the matter of where we put the ending. But we cannot treat real life like the movie, right? We cannot put an ending as we pleased. The new and strange will someday be old and well-known. Well, maybe that illusion is the purpose of the filmmaker. But I still find it annoying.

But, other than that thing, I actually like the movie, especially the idea of Secretary of Juliet. It was sweet and remarkable. I mean, it is a fact that women just want to be listened. And who will listen better than Juliet, the girl who experience the greatest, but also the most tragic love story ever. I really want to write a letter to Juliet someday, assuming that I will have a love story that worth to be shared with.

And If someone ask me to choose between Bernal and that British guy, I will definitely choose Bernal without any doubt. I mean how can you not choose Gael Garcia Bernal?

The last but not least, I think Verona is waaaaay more romantic than Paris.

Rate: 7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment